Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Zucchini Banana Bread


I have returned! It has been the roughest 6 months of my life, and as you can tell, it has reflected on my blog!  But I am happy to say that I have returned to the land of the living :) and am happy to be able to start blogging regularly again... And baking! 
One of my favorite summer past times is baking (and eating) zucchini bread with my Grandma Kay.  She always made the best zucchini bread, wrapped it in tinfoil after it had cooled, and then shared it with those that she loved.  It always made my day when she'd offer me a piece of her perfectly spiced, moist loaf of zucchini bread, slathered in soft butter.  My mouth waters now just thinking about it.  Well, a year ago, on August 4th, my sweet Grandma Kay passed away.  She taught me so much. I inherited her way of cooking... A dab of this & a shake of that! Taste. Repeat. :) I also am fortunate enough to have many of her recipes, including her famous Zucchini Bread.  Well. I baked it this year in honor of Grandma and shared it with those I love, a tradition I will continue for as long as I'm able. 
Then I realized that I had bananas! Lots of bananas! So, I searched for a recipe that I could use zucchini and bananas in so that my bananas wouldn't go bad!  Besides, I put nuts in the Zucchini Bread and my husband isn't fond of them.  This recipe is the one I found and it turned out so yummy!  I love the moist texture of banana bread, and just think! With zucchini, it's that much more nutritious! :)  Make a batch! Share it with those you love! Enjoy:)

Zucchini Banana Bread
adapted by From Cupboard to Cupboard
original recipe from Taste of Home

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups mashed ripe bananas
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoon svanilla extract
  • 2 cups shredded zucchini
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
  • Directions

    • In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a small bowl, beat the egg, bananas, oil and extracts. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in zucchini and walnuts.
    • Transfer to five 5-3/4-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325° for 40-45  (mine took nearly an hour) minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 5-6 mini loaves (6 slices each).
    Happy Cooking!

    Teauna

    2 comments:

    1. Love this I have so many zucchini that I need new ways to use this. And also have bananas all the time ready to be baked thanks so much for the idea

      ReplyDelete
    2. What a nice way to honor the memory of your grandmother--baking one of her recipes and sharing it with loved ones.

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks for visiting! Your happy comments make my day!

    xoxo