Friday, January 17, 2014

Tea's Blacker than Midnight Cake

 
 
 


I had a request to make a cake last weekend. At first when I received the description in a text I nearly died... a WHAT??  I had no idea what she was talking about. I had never made anything of the sort and I was worried. (Don't worry. I explained to her that I was clueless as to what she was talking about. She still wanted me to make it... ) Her description went as follows: a dark midnight cake with chocolate cream filling, egg white frosting and a chocolate drizzle.  Now I need to explain, the reason she wanted this cake for her mom's birthday was because this was her mom's favorite cake that she baked herself every year.  Pressure much? First, I don't know what this cake is... Second... SHE DOES!
 So, I did what most people in my shoes would do. I googled it! BIG PROBLEM!  I found a bunch of different cakes, but none of them seemed to fit her description.  So.... I did what I had to do. I created my own version of this cake. And it turned out beautiful!  I made an extra one for my family just so we could see what all the hype is about.  They think that perhaps it's their new favorite cake.

First I made my yummy extra dark chocolate cake.  (This recipe works well for 2 10" pans or 3 9" pans)...


3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
4 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups cocoa
4 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
4 eggs
2 cups strong black coffee, cooled
2 cups buttermilk
1 cup vegetable oil
2 Tbsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix ingredients in order given... Grease and flour ( I use my homemade pan release) either (3) 9" pans or (2) 10" pans.  You may have a little extra for cupcakes too, as my pans are all deep. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until center is set and outside of cake is pulling away from pan.  Cool for approximately 5-10 minutes. Run a knife around the outside and turn out onto cooling racks. Cool Completely...

Stabilized Chocolate Crème filling:
(You could use chocolate pudding in place of this cream for the filling)

1 envelope gelatin
1/4 cup cold water
combine these two ingredients in a saucepan and let stand for five minutes. Turn to low and dissolve, then remove from heat and cool. 
Whip until slightly thick:
3 cups heavy whipping cream
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
Add gelatin on low. Whip on HIGH to firm peaks. Add 1/8-1/4 cup cocoa and beat.


Egg White Frosting:

1 cup white sugar
1/3 cup water
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
2 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla extract

In a saucepan, stir together the sugar, water and cream of tartar.  Cook over medium-high heat until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is bubbly. In a medium mixing bowl, whip the egg whites and vanilla to soft peaks. Gradually add the sugar mixture while whipping constantly until stiff peaks form, about 7 to 10 minutes.


Bittersweet Chocolate Ganache

8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup heavy whipping cream

Heat the heavy cream in a saucepan until it starts to bubble. Pour over chocolate in a glass bowl. Stir until all chocolate is melted and cream and chocolate are combined. Let cool slightly.


So... once the cakes are cooled, you're going to want to stack them, filling them with the chocolate cream. Frost with the egg white frosting. Now for the fun part... Make sure the chocolate is cooled. Pour it over the top of the cake and let it drizzle down the sides. If it's not drizzling too well and is set up, you can heat it up in 20 second intervals in the microwave just to make it a bit more workable.... Just do what works best for you.

Let set for a couple hours so chocolate sets up. Cut with a serrated knife. One of the BEST cakes ever!




I am so happy to be back!

Happy Cooking

Teauna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Your happy comments make my day!

xoxo